My first blog from OIF
04AUG05
Dear Friends and Family,
Today marks my 8th day outside the US and just yesterday our team reached our assigned post. (The "o" key on this laptop does not work all the time!) Until yesterday we had been biding our time trying to find a way in country.
We fly from the states and stopped briefly in Germany before landing in a small and friendly middle east country. As soon as we landed (around midnight) we stepped ff the plane into 100+ heat and humidity and proceeded t unload baggage for 45 min--hot and sweaty does not begin to describe our condition!
The next afternoon we flew into an airfield in country and got some cots in tent city. Thank goodness the tents had some A/C so it was comfortable except from noon-5pm. Went to church Sunday morn and found a rugby game that afternoon--the marine officer took some pics and sent a few to Rachelle.
We stayed here fr three days trying t get a helo ride into our post, but since we kept getting bumped we had to settle for a convoy ride. As expected the convoy rides are tense but ours was uneventful--except that our armored humvee had no a/c! (100+, uniform, armor vest, helmet, weapons, and lots f water) It was good to see the smiles, thumbs up, and waves from the locals going t and from work.
When we finally arrived at our post the teams we were coming t support were very glad t see us. We got a great welcome and they helped us unload our gear. (The four of us--two x two-man teams--had been lugging around more than 1/2 a ton of equipment and gear.) We moved into our rooms and got a quick tour (my room can fit a single bed and little else, but at least I have a mattress and a/c).
The food is good, latrines nearby, and not too noisy (earplugs help). I slept for seven hours and felt fully rested for the first time in a week. We begin working today and should be at this location for at least a week or so. There is a chance one of the two man teams will relocate.
We will be busy in the months ahead as the elections, constitution, and trial of saddam unfold. Everyone I have met so far is upbeat and focused on the critical missions we have to complete. I know that I am needed here and feel honored to be serving alongside some great soldiers. Continue to pray for everyone here--pray for wisdom, clarity, courage, and strength. And pray fr the families at home. We are well provided for and lack nthing. It is our families back home that need checking in on!
I will write mre as time allws. Perhaps in my secnd letter I can focus on explaining my motivations and reasns fr re-enlisting and coming over here to fight. I aplogize fr the lack f details but am sure you understand why.
Love, Travis


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home