Flying Out - Early Nov, 2005
Early November, 2005
We flew out last night...perhaps the most peaceful and relaxing ride of any sort I've ever taken. I’m sitting in the helo with the warm night air, the city of Ramadi below us, all of our gear loaded and all of us buddies leaving together. I didn’t want the flight to end...if it flew to Newman I think I would have slept the entire flight.
Yesterday was perhaps one of the longest days I've endured here. Up at 3am for my last TOC shift (training the FNG's - new guys - on how to do everything we've been doing), the wheels of the Chinook did not lift off until 1223am (4:23pm Newman). We basically counted down the hours which seemed to creep by. We said goodbye to many friends, telling them to stay safe; but knowing that this could be the last time we see them.
It is also awkward to leave knowing others will not get to leave for many months. They are happy for you, but it is difficult all the same. The new guys have to learn quick and have tremendous responsibility upon their shoulders.
Our small team of 12 made a significant difference in Ramadi, but much work remains. The soldiers and Marines are fighting in an unforgiving environment and enduring so much in order to bring peace and stability to the region. But much more on that later.
For now, my effort this tour is complete. I am proud of the work our team did, and we are all ready to return to the people and land we love. I am thankful for the prayers and support that I believe helped me survive. And I am thankful for the guys I was able to work with. They are incredible soldiers, caring human beings, dedicated professionals, comedians, and, above all, faithful brothers.
Before the sun rises we expect to be out of Iraq. And, if travel goes smoothly, I hope to be in Newman next Sunday. Thank God.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home