Monday, October 15, 2007

First post from the stan

Its been a while since I have had access to the blog, mostly I have had limited email access and some phone time. It took a few weeks to get to Naray, the forward base where I am for a little while before pushing north to my final destination for a month or two. Its entertaining (to say the least) trying to get room on the helos, but, as in everything else, persistence tends to pay off.

Accomodations are fine, I'm in a tent but have a mattress after having just a cot for awhile. Nights are cooling off but the days are still warm. Got to watch the end of the rockies game where they beat the Dbacks and now have a 3game lead. Good for them!

As is normal, things are mostly quiet, as should be the case during the winter season. Looks like we will get some of the new cold weather gear, maybe I will get a chance to ski!

As for my address, you can get in touch with home, or email me. I pretty much have all i need (and can carry). I have to limit what I am moving with to two rucks--one on my back and one carried. Space on the helos is limited. So all the gear we need to do our job, plus clothing, sleep gear, and necessities for a 2 month stay has to be one man portable. So some things get left behind, but not the ipod!

Let's see, what are some of the interesting things that have happened so far (and the corresponding character traits revealed)?
- Got in a little trouble (of course) trying to talk my way on to a helo with the crew chief....which is normal, but the pax director didn't like me going around her. It all got clarified and they found room for me on the very next helo (persistence / good ridance?).
- Me and a couple afghanis had to push a toyota so the oda dude could pop the clutch (teamwork).
- Met the polish TACPs that were getting indoc briefs, made small talk (friendliness).

Well, that's enough for now, will write more when able.

From the hindu kush,
K12

-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home