Monday, December 17, 2007

Typical 48 Hours for a ROMAD

What is a typical 2 day mission like for a ROMAD in Afghanistan?  I have no idea what "typical" would look like, but I can tell you about my most recent operation (the names have not been changed because there are no innocent):
 
We were tasked with supporting an operation that would helo insert about 50 infantry, engineers, terps, and ODA into a village in the far north.  This village has been supporting the government and trying to keep the insurgents out, but they are beyond the reach of any local US forces and have thus not seen any aid.  So, as Bill Murray said in Caddyshack, "What about a little something for the effort?"   Our mission was to bring Humanitarian Assistance and Americans to a village cut off from civilization so to speak.  And since the village was beyond the range of any supporting artillery, the commanders said you better bring the air force along.  And so I wind up on a CH47 with a bunch of infantry heading to a village full of friendly afghanis but in territory observed by insurgents.
 
As soon as we land the infantry establishes a secure perimeter and we set up our satellite communications.  We establish good comms with our army and air force headquarters.  Next, the army ground commander says he wants the next CH47 helo inbound with 3 slingloads to land closer to the village.  This means I change my radio to the helo frequency and head to the river with a marking panel.  I get the panel set where I want the cargo dropped and then begin talking to the helo pilot.  (I also have to get the afghan woman--and her daughter--to stop doing laundry in the river next to the LZ, because a very big windstorm is about to hit them.)  The helo comes in, sprays everything with river water and dirt--including me--and drops the slingload.  The village now has a new generator, electronic equipment, fuel tank, bundles of blankets and coats, and medical supplies; and we have water and food (well not really food, MREs).
 
Since we were dropped off at the south end of the village instead of the north end where our safe house was, we were invited to stay in the girls school.  So, much to our chagrin we marched off to the girls school for the night.  As we moved through the village the road was lined with Afghanis checking us out.  Some were smiling, some were alarmed, most were just surprised.  I must say it was picturesque.  From the moment we landed the entire village was out to, well welcome us I guess.
 
That night we paid the locals to put plastic on the windows, bring firewood, and make dinner.  The little kids carried in the wood and I would give them a piece of candy on the way out.  I gave two pieces for serious effort and one piece for showing up.  Little guys and heavy lifters scored the candy bars.  Smart ones tried to circle back in line for a second helping, but I've seen that trick before.  And the ones receiving only one piece (in comparison to the kid in front who got two pieces) got a quick lesson in the difference between capitalism and communism.
 
Soon enough we had a good fire going and I learned a little trick.  If you take a plastic water bottle and remove the wrapper and any air from inside, you can then set it in the fire and it will boil.  Then someone gets "selected" to pull it out of the fire and --bam--hot chocolate!  Next, dinner is served!
 
We grab MRE bags and cut them in half to create bowls, then get in line for hot goat!  Each person gets warm bread, rice, beans, and goat stew.  Thankfully its dark out so you cant really see what your eating--just spit out the rocks, fat, and anything that doesnt seem to belong in stew.  We hang out by the fire after dinner and give the comedians the floor. 
 
Thankfully we are staying in the room with the commander so we get one of the two heaters.  The rest of the guys dig into the bags of blankets we brought for the locals.  They will get them in the morning; tonight is going to be cold.  So the air force slept well.
 
In the morning we have a few missions--evaluate a washed out bridge, inspect the hydro-electric plant, and conduct a KLE (key leader engagement).  Along the way we hand out mittens, hats, coats, and candy.  We do our work, and the locals watch.
 
That afternoon we exfil on the CH47's and enjoy the flight back.  I take some pictures out the back of a ch47, the rear gunner is sitting on the ramp manning the 50 cal.  I am sitting in very back (last on first off) and get a great view of the country.  We usually fly about 500 feet off the deck, but then we cross over the ridgelines and are flying about 10-12000msl.  Temps might be 50s on the valley floor and sub zero at that height.  We stop for a refuel at a base I had been at weeks ago, and I am able to run and grab a few packages that had arrived after I left.  We finally make it back to our FOB around 3 in the afternoon.  We drop the packages by the PAX terminal so we can carry our gear to our hooch.  When we return the packages are gone....they mail guys picked them up.  Great, they will probably try to mail them to me at the place I just left.  Luckily we track them down and I get them back to my room. 
 
I grab a quick shower, change pants but not my jacket (still dont have all my laundry back from my last location) and head to the TOC to begin my 8 hour shift.  Around midnight I come off shift and after calling home crawl into bed ready for a good sleep.  The end to a typical 48 hours for a ROMAD in Afghanistan.
-K12

5 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the - Web Reconnaissance for 12/18/2007 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day...so check back often.

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

K-12,
You should really stop having so much fun!;-) But wonderful to hear about your "typical".
Ya'll stay safe!

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love you, and are missing you this CHRISTmas season. We pray for you daily, and know that God surrounds you. You know that CHRISTmas at moms won't be the same without you guys. Love and prayers, The Mean family

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T-man-
Stay safe. Love you. We've been checking on R & boys.

Love, Laura, Eric & Austin

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas T-man. Thank you for fighting the good fight and giving us the gift of freedom.
It's a very white Christmas and it's beautiful here. We will continue to pray for you. The Meyer's

 

Post a Comment

<< Home