Pushing Beyond
A few days ago I went up a mountain, and then came back down.
It's strange how a simple sentence can say so much and so little at the same time.
In reality I climbed about 2000 feet in elevation and covered at least two klicks (as the crow flies, definitely not as the goat climbs) in 2 hours and 20 minutes with my full combat loadout plus a ruck filled with day and night gear and stopped (so I wouldn't pass out) for less than 5 minutes two or three times.
Now that sentence comes closer, but still does not convey the agony. After the first thirty minutes I thought I had reached my limit. Everything after the first thirty minutes came from some deep reserve that we rarely tap.
I asked God for strength, I repeated "just keep swimming" from Finding Nemo, I blanked out a few times, I stopped, I sucked air, I put my hands on my knees, but I didn't quit.
I learned quite a bit about the word essential. As in what I thought was 'essential' for my ruck. I also remembered what I had forgotten about elevation. A mile above sea level is something worth remembering. I also remembered that there is a difference between 18 and 38.
However, we did set the land speed record for time from the FOB up to the OP. And I guess that is worth something. Perhaps its also worth remembering--for a later time--that we can push beyond what we think is possible...physically and mentally. I can clearly identify with David as he wrote in II Samuel 22:3, "....He is my shield and SAVING STRENGTH, my defender and my place of safety," and of course in verse 34, "He makes me like a deer that does not stumble, He helps me stand on the steep mountains."
Its amazing how a simple verse can say so little to me at times, and then, at other times, so much.
K12


6 Comments:
Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.
Matthew 7:13-14
Travis, in this passage the narrow gate is said to be like trying to walk through a narrow passage(Like two stone walls in the mountains) that is very confining and you have to fight to get through it, it's an act of violence, you must do it alone and you can't take anything with you. Matt 11:12 says "From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force".
What you wrote in your post really stirred in me those passages. Luke 13:22-24 is also amazing passage. What Jesus said in these passages really is startling. As you explain your striving to get to your OP in the mountains it reminded me of the straining it takes to run the race to win.
Keep writing Travis. Your very good. Trekkers are praying for you.
Joe
Hi Travis,
I love reading your blogs. You are such a good story teller and will have so many to tell! That sounded like quite a workout, I'm sure you're in better shape than any 18 year old! I can't imagine being able to do the work that you do!! Thank you for everything! I also love the fact that you were thinking of Finding Nemo, "just keep swimming." We have that movie now, but I always think of Shelley telling me about it first. It makes me smile. We're thinking of you here! Miss you!
Shea & Wes and family
Travis,
Your words inspire us to live fully for Christ, and to endure all hardship with confidence in Him. Thank you, Travis. We are praying for you.
Langholz Family
K12-
This is your bro. We are proud of you and the sacrifice you are making for all of us. I'm not sure if you are supposed to maintain anonymity, so I am using your tag.
Anyway, I got a nice moose in Newfoundland and spent days walking 12 miles through bogs and mountains with a rifle and 40 lb pack (this probably pales in comparison to what you did on the mountain, but I'm trying to keep pace with you).
We are sending you a care package that should be there in a few weeks (posted 11/21). Happy Turkey Day! Love you, G, T, & A
Travis - Thinking about and praying for you, especially as Thanksgiving comes upon us. We pray God is giving what you need each day! -The Vincents
Happy Thanksgiving Travis.
The Meyer's
Post a Comment
<< Home