The Doldrums (this could be a dangerous post)
I just realized that my last post was New Year's Day. Well 16 days
later and not a lot has changed. And therein lies the danger! One
begins to look for ways to "shake things up"--which is generally
discouraged in a military environment.
Yes, the addition of a hot water maker (a big coffe maker without the
coffee filter) made enough of a difference to keep me thoroughly
occupied for days. But, like the neglected toys weeks after
Christmas, the hot water maker has lost its novelty.
And I have just about read through the 365 day Dilbert calendar, but I
can't bring myself to finish it and know that I will only have
previously-viewed Dilberts' to look forward to.
I think I am officially in the Himalayan "Doldrums." Although
originally "the doldrums" referred to feeling "dull and drowsy" as in
this Wiki definition:
In the 19th century, 'doldrum' was a word meaning 'dullard; a dull or
sluggish fellow' and this probably derived from 'dol', meaning 'dull'
with its form taken from 'tantrum'. That is, as a tantrum was a fit of
petulance and passion, a doldrum was a fit of sloth and dullness, or
one who indulged in such.
The doldrums also became the name applied to the almost dead state of
winds found north of the equater between the trade winds--a place
where sailing ships could languish. However, the official name of
this region is the Intertropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ).
I think it is more than sheer coincidence that I wear a patch on my
arm that says ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) and has
Pashto script they tell us means "Help and Cooperation." However, I
think "Help and Cooperation" stands for something much more humorous
that is lost in translation--it makes the villagers point and laugh
and comes across as a politician saying "We're from the Federal
Government, and we're here to help."
But I digress. I am now convinced that ITCZ, when translated to
Pashto, becomes ISAF, and furthermore, when the Pashto script is
transleted to English it means "In the Doldrums." For I am in some
kind of Intertropical/International Convergence Security Assistance
Zone where the prevailing winds cancel each other out and, "fits of
sloth and dullness" are commonplace. In fact, these "dull or sluggish
fellows" comprise the majority! And, sad as it may seem, I am
beginning to fit in quite well.
(Many astute readers may note the additional coincidence of airwaves
and internet being filled with several well-funded "dull or sluggish
fellows" trying to convince anyone who will listen of his or her
qualifications for high office. I dare say the Interpolitical
Convergence Election Zone has trapped the country in between trade
winds and the only moving air is the result of "wind-bags."
Unfortunately this air tends to be hot, and blows across the country
every four years like some sort of sick modern Olympics.)
Yet, hope is not extinguished. For I know that we all eventually get
carried through the doldrums. My groundhog days will soon end; I will
be reunited with my family and all that is good and meaningful in my
life. These days will fade into some incredulous memory, and that
which is easy to take for granted will be savored.
Children are indeed a blessing, and I cannot wait to hold and squeeze
mine and listen to all their marvelous perspectives on this world.
What else will I not take for granted?: Indoor plumbing, hot water,
Chicago-style deep dish pizza, queen sized beds, sidewalks,
Porterhouse steaks, paved roads, perfume!, and late nights with good
friends.
However, the treasure most anticipated is the relationship most
meaningful. For there is a living miracle, full of strength and
courage and wisdom and beauty, that has been with me every waking
moment (and even many dreaming moments!). And this treasure is
priceless, worth more than all the gold that every king has ever
fought for. My greatest sacrifice during this journey has been the
time away from my dearest earthly treasure. She has shouldered the
greatest weight of this separation burden and accomplished the
greatest success, however no one will award her a medal or give her a
parade or throw her a party. But she deserves all of this, and more.
In the end, however, neither of us want awards or parties or
recognition. We just want each other.
At the end of the day, and the end of wars, this I hope for: that each
may know the hope and joy and freedom that only comes by leaving our
own path and following after the One who says to each of us, "Come,
follow me." And for me, His is the path out of the doldrums.
K12


12 Comments:
I pray God allows us a long life together,into our old age, because I look forward to spending the rest of my earthly days loving YOU!
I cry everytime I read your blogs. It amazes me that I can laugh and cry in the same paragraph. I'm glad God gives you strength to have humor amongst the havoc. I've said it before, but will say it again. We pray for you daily, and await your return. Prayers & Blessings,
The Mean family
Hang in there T .
We lift you in prayer.
Play Safe
Love you Mom and Mark
The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the - Web Reconnaissance for 01/17/2008 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day...so check back often.
We will be praying you home safely. Jill Stutts (NCBC Army wife)
Doldrums!? Snap out of it dude! You are down to days....get your mind focused on finishing well, don't get careless, don't take any unnecessary chances, resume shaving every day,and don't neglect your PT (those boys need some wearing out as well as hugs).
You do your part, and He will do His part, and we will soon have a party!
John
Stay safe, buddy! Hang in there, you're on the home stretch!!!
Love you Lots!
Your Sis-in-law
- Laura
Reid and I looked for antonyms for the word "DOLDRUMS". We found the the words:
"SHARPEN"
"FAST"
"ALERT"
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."
Ezekiel 21:11 "The sword is appointed to be polished, to be grasped with the hand; it is sharpened and polished, made ready"...(for it's purpose)
Ephesians 6:16,19,20"..take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one....whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains (or Iraq). Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."
I am excited to see the sharpening and polishing in your and Rachelle's life as well as those boys of yours!! You already shine for Him! May your homecoming be full and sweet!!
We love you and pray for you!!!
Tammy and Reid Kessler for the rest of the Kesslers who love YOU!!!
T,
Keep the faith and stay alert. We all look forward to your return and pray for you daily. God bless.
Pat
T,
Keep the faith and stay alert. We all look forward to your return and pray for you daily. God bless.
Pat
T-man. I can't wait to read your book. R told me you may have one in the works. At least, keep blogging.
Your post reminds me how we all need to keep our guard up. We are all at war...spiritual and physical...we can't allow ourselves to get dull. I know I fight that constantly. I hate it. I hate that we are still tied to this fleshly body and this world that loves it sin. But I glory in the fact that Christ did it all and is doing it all as we speak. Start to finish. Thank you Jesus.
Keep watch T. Physically and spiritually. We are praying for your safe return. Not much longer now. Joe
Welcome home Travis!
Post a Comment
<< Home